Sunday, March 25, 2012

Testing, Testing, 1,2,3.....

It's that time again in Texas: state testing season.  Music teachers everywhere are alternating between "whew!  I'm glad I don't have to teach a tested subject!" and "hey, just because we aren't testing doesn't mean we aren't important!".  To my fellow music teachers I say, take heart friends!  We are even more important now.  Our students are working, nose to the grindstone all day every day.  Their classroom teachers are keeping them focused on a very real, sometimes daunting, goal.  For students who are struggling, music may be the one place they feel confident and safe taking a risk.  For academically strong students, music is a chance to stretch their wings and express themselves.  Music teacher, you are important!  Even if you have to change your schedule, combine classes, monitor restrooms, and take kids to recess, you are doing good work.  My role this week is to be a cheerleader for my kiddos and help them to feel successful.  If we get to make music in the process, that's even better!  It's a good week to focus on flexibility and creativity, and to remind myself that with or without the music, I am a teacher. My students need me to be calm, confident, and positive.  My inner diva is going to take a back seat to academics, and she will survive......as long as I let her out again soon. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great reminder! Thanks for your encouragement.

ckmusicmom said...

Thanks for reading! I hope your week went well!